The CLWG Scientific Meeting was held in Rome on July 14th, 2017, at the Santa Prisca Hotel, in Testaccio district. The CLWG devoted large part of the meeting to discuss few scientific study projects that actively involve some members of the group and in particular:
- Retrospective histopathological study for the immunohistochemical and biomolecular search of Leishmania spp. on the skin of cats with ulcers in the head and neck, coordinated by Dr. Fondati.
- Evaluation of clinical and laboratory remission times in dogs with proteinuria associated with leishmaniasis under different therapeutic-management protocols, coordinated by Dr. Zatelli and with the collaboration of Prof. Paltrinieri and Lubas and Drs. Gradoni, Roura and Zini. An additional supplementation of unsaturated fatty acids products was discussed as well as the administration of specific foods for renal disease in subjects involved in the study. The recruitment of cases in the Puglia area was also presented.
The assessments of few study areas that are currently underway by the members of GSLC have been continued:
- Comparative analysis of the characteristics of all topical compounds found in the Italian market for the prevention of the flebotomus bite (project under the supervision of Dr. Fondati, Maroli and Gradoni). The investigation has been widely debated and it has been proposed to widen the survey also to other countries in the Mediterranean such as Spain, France and Greece and prepare an article that can disclose this scientific news in all the countries of North Europe. In fact, North European veterinarians are interested in dog which travel with their owners in the Mediterranean area.
- Develop a questionnaire to be sent to field veterinarians in Italy to know what advice the professional provides to the owners about the prevention of leishmaniasis. The products included in the survey include both topical products (choice of type, instructions for use, possible side effects) and systemic product such as vaccine or domperidone (instructions for use, possible side effects) (project managed by all CLWG members). For this purpose, a leader company in web questionnaires settings (Survio) has been involved. The process of the collected data will require the collaboration of experts on administering the questionnaires to obtain useful results.
- Development and reevaluation of some algorithms for the diagnosis of leishmaniasis in accordance of what has been published so far and with the last contribution prepared by some CLWG members. See also download section of this website, article no. 53.
- The possible association between leishmaniasis and neoplastic diseases and / or immunosuppressive treatments and / or antineoplastic treatments was discussed. Clinical evidence in this regard is scarce and fragmentary. Surely it is an interesting topic to explore.
Finally, the participation of CLWG members at a meeting of the Formev Association (http://www.formev.it), to be held on November 12 (Sunday) p.v. in Bari was discussed. The seminar is titled "Interdisciplinary Seminar on Canine Leishmaniasis" and will have as speakers Paltrinieri, Maroli, Lubas, Roura and Zatelli. As Chairman, will intervene prof. Domenico Otranto. In the download section can be downloaded the day schedule. A new CLWG meeting will be held on November 11th.